Are you looking for a creative and engaging activity to do with your children? Making homemade play dough is not only a fun way to spend time together, but it also allows your little ones to explore their imagination and sensory skills. Plus, it's a great inexpensive alternative to store-bought play dough. In this blog post, we will share with you some exciting recipes for making different types of play dough that your children will love!
1. Classic Play Dough
This classic play dough recipe is cheap to make and requires only a few simple ingredients that you may already have in your pantry:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup salt
- 2 tablespoons cream of tartar *
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1.5 cups boiling water
- Food coloring (optional)
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, salt, and cream of tartar.
- Add the vegetable oil and boiling water. Stir until the mixture forms a dough.
- If desired, add a few drops of food coloring and knead the dough until the color is evenly distributed.
- Let the dough cool before giving it to your children to play with.
Wrap in cling wrap or airtight container and store in the refrigerator. Let is sit at room temperature for half an hour before playing with it again.
TIP: Cream of tartar helps to give the dough a lovely soft consistency and also acts as a preservative. It can be substituted with 1 tablespoon of vinegar or omitted all together if you do not have it on hand.
2. Edible Chocolate Play Dough
If your kids have a sweet tooth, they will adore this delicious and safe-to-eat play dough! A fun dough recipe for the Easter or Christmas holidays. (You will need to ensure there are no peanut allergies with this one)
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- In a mixing bowl, combine the peanut butter and honey.
- Add the powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Mix until well combined.
- Knead the dough until it reaches a smooth and pliable consistency.
- Let your children enjoy molding and shaping this tasty play dough!
Wrap in cling wrap or airtight container and store in the refrigerator. Let is sit at room temperature for half an hour before playing with it again. You can microwave for a few seconds to help make it pliable again.
3. Glittery Unicorn Play Dough
Unleash your child's inner unicorn with this magical and sparkly play dough recipe! This one is great for birthday parties.
- 2 cups cornstarch
- 1 cup of cheap hair conditioner
- Edible glitter or non-toxic craft glitter
- Food coloring (optional)
- In a bowl, mix the cornstarch and hair conditioner until well combined.
- If desired, add a few drops of food coloring and mix until the color is evenly distributed.
- Sprinkle glitter over the dough and knead it to incorporate the sparkles.
- Let your little ones dive into a world of enchantment with this mesmerizing play dough!
Wrap in cling wrap or place in an airtight container.
Don't be afraid to experiment!
These are just a few examples of the creative recipes you can try to make homemade play dough. Don't be afraid to experiment with different food colors, essential oil scents, and textures . Your children will have a blast and you'll create lasting memories together. So, roll up your sleeves, gather the ingredients, and let the dough fun begin!